My plan was to do a first flight before any finishing work. That way if i totally pwn it i could save myself some time. Unfortunately my RX is going to take longer than i thought to be delivered, so i decided to try painting. I put Minwax on the paper first and let it dry for a couple hours. I Put masking tape on the duck tape. In the future i may double up on the tape and i am not sure what effect having paint on top of the tape will do to the next layer sticking on it. Basically i just grabbed some glossy paint i had on hand. Black and Red.
If it flies i will clear coat the top and put clear packing tape on the bottom.
First i glued a little case together to hold the gopro. Next I set the gopro down on a sheet of foam, and using the gopro apps live view, I moved the camera forward until I could not see it anymore. This gave me the placement from the leading edge that i wanted.
Instead of removing the part from the plane that I needed for the gopro mount, making just a hole, I glued it down to reinforce the front leading edge.
Next i glued in the frame I had made, installed the Velcro strap, and glued some reinforcing bars (Popsicle sticks) on the bottom.
With the wingtips installed I can now store it vertically.
Next will be motor, esc, immersionRC, and rx. Lastly i will install the battery to get proper CG.
Picked up one of these video out boards for the gopro.
Only basic testing so far, but i have not had any issues as some people report when using the side usb video out. No lag or lockups at all. Plus it charges my camera while in use.
Only issue right now is the large amount of screen real estate the gopro osd uses. But i think that can be disabled.
5000mah battery -> jst-hx to jst harness (sometimes called a lighting harness) -> Power filter (remove ESC/Motor interference) -> immersionRC 600mw vTX –> gopro
Here is the gopro 3 black OSD displayed on a 17″ wide screen car lcd tv. The resolution settings really make a difference on how good it looks. Need to make sure the ratios match between display and gopro output. I.E. 16:9 and 4:3
purchased from getfpv for around $20. Website reports this back 30pin port is the same on all series of gopro, but i havent tested.
Added support spars. And by that I mean BBQ skewers.
Mounted gopro adapter and some more front fuselage reinforcement.
I am testing out the camera mount from flitetest.com
It works pretty good for why I wanted it, which was to remove vibrations from the gopro and get it in front of the props. I had to mount it differently as the holes dont match up but I am really impressed with the quality and will totally be picking up some of their speed kits later.