My plan was to do a first flight before any finishing work. That way if i totally pwn it i could save myself some time. Unfortunately my RX is going to take longer than i thought to be delivered, so i decided to try painting. I put Minwax on the paper first and let it dry for a couple hours. I Put masking tape on the duck tape. In the future i may double up on the tape and i am not sure what effect having paint on top of the tape will do to the next layer sticking on it. Basically i just grabbed some glossy paint i had on hand. Black and Red.
If it flies i will clear coat the top and put clear packing tape on the bottom.
First i glued a little case together to hold the gopro. Next I set the gopro down on a sheet of foam, and using the gopro apps live view, I moved the camera forward until I could not see it anymore. This gave me the placement from the leading edge that i wanted.
Instead of removing the part from the plane that I needed for the gopro mount, making just a hole, I glued it down to reinforce the front leading edge.
Next i glued in the frame I had made, installed the Velcro strap, and glued some reinforcing bars (Popsicle sticks) on the bottom.
With the wingtips installed I can now store it vertically.
Next will be motor, esc, immersionRC, and rx. Lastly i will install the battery to get proper CG.
Got the servos and motor installed finally.
This is under the wings where the battery will be stored using velcro.
20 amp speed controller zip tied to center post.
Here is the opposite side with Popsicle sticks for reinforcement.
Custom Y servo cable for the ailerons made from 2 servo extension cables.
Reinforced push rods. My friend gave me the idea to heat shrink bbq skewers to strengthen them.
Installed the control horns from flitetest.com that connect the upper and lower elevons.
Installed my RC fpv controller holder and mocked up what it will look like. The velcro on the back is for my immersionRC UNO vRX.