My plan was to do a first flight before any finishing work. That way if i totally pwn it i could save myself some time. Unfortunately my RX is going to take longer than i thought to be delivered, so i decided to try painting. I put Minwax on the paper first and let it dry for a couple hours. I Put masking tape on the duck tape. In the future i may double up on the tape and i am not sure what effect having paint on top of the tape will do to the next layer sticking on it. Basically i just grabbed some glossy paint i had on hand. Black and Red.
If it flies i will clear coat the top and put clear packing tape on the bottom.
First i glued a little case together to hold the gopro. Next I set the gopro down on a sheet of foam, and using the gopro apps live view, I moved the camera forward until I could not see it anymore. This gave me the placement from the leading edge that i wanted.
Instead of removing the part from the plane that I needed for the gopro mount, making just a hole, I glued it down to reinforce the front leading edge.
Next i glued in the frame I had made, installed the Velcro strap, and glued some reinforcing bars (Popsicle sticks) on the bottom.
With the wingtips installed I can now store it vertically.
Next will be motor, esc, immersionRC, and rx. Lastly i will install the battery to get proper CG.
Some parts i need to get my Mikey’s plane finished are taking forever to get here from Hobby King so i decided to try building a speedbuild kit from http://flitetest.com
Here is their build of it:
They laser cut all the parts out for you. You only need to cut a couple bevels and glue/tape things together.
2x 9 gram servos from Hobby King. Like $3.5 each.
The hot glue holds the airfoil shape really well, even before finishing the wing.
These wing tips stick down a little bit more than the wings and body, so they will probably be hitting the ground first and often. To reinforce them i glued some long zip ties along the entire bottom and around the front. This should help protect the paper and foam a little bit. I still need to press down on the body when i install the motor so i will install these last in the build.
At this point in the versa build you would glue the two wings together, but i am doing the blunt nose build (only $10 more!) so i stopped the versa build video and went to this one:
Now to get the engine mount glued together, electronics, and start thinking about painting.
Added support spars. And by that I mean BBQ skewers.
Got the top dihedral wing and Gopro mount installed.
Mounted gopro adapter and some more front fuselage reinforcement.
Been putting some more time into my foamy plane. Cut out all parts and have begun gluing.
I am testing out the camera mount from flitetest.com
It works pretty good for why I wanted it, which was to remove vibrations from the gopro and get it in front of the props. I had to mount it differently as the holes dont match up but I am really impressed with the quality and will totally be picking up some of their speed kits later.
After watching Josh Bixlers build of this on flitetest.com I have begun working on a rc foam plane. It is made from free plans that you print out and it is made from 3 sheets of dollar tree foam.