Flitetest blunt nose versa painting

My plan was to do a first flight before any finishing work. That way if i totally pwn it i could save myself some time. Unfortunately my RX is going to take longer than i thought to be delivered, so i decided to try painting. I put Minwax on the paper first and let it dry for a couple hours. I Put masking tape on the duck tape. In the future i may double up on the tape and i am not sure what effect having paint on top of the tape will do to the next layer sticking on it. Basically i just grabbed some glossy paint i had on hand. Black and Red.

20140707-072745-26865622.jpg

20140707-072747-26867077.jpg

20140707-072748-26868511.jpg

20140707-072831-26911995.jpg

20140707-072833-26913405.jpg

20140707-072835-26915017.jpg

20140707-072857-26937672.jpg

 

If it flies i will clear coat the top and put clear packing tape on the bottom.

Advertisements

FT blunt nose updates: motor and battery

Installed the firewall and motor/prop. Sounds really awesome when turned on. This is the 1450kv motor they recommend on the flitetest.com build. 7/4 prop.20140630-143947-52787905.jpg 20140630-143946-52786503.jpg 20140630-143944-52784755.jpg One problem i did have was that my 2200mah battery was a little too tall. I had to cut a hole in the top door to make it work. I decided to build a little cage around the battery so it could not move around in flight. This is reinforced on the bottom with 4 Popsicle sticks. 20140630-144009-52809630.jpg 20140630-144008-52808157.jpg The CG on this thing is premarked by the flitetest team so i know where to balance. Issue now is figuring out how much weight i need to put in the nose. Even with a gopro it is going to need a bunch more weight to be slightly nose heavy.

FT versa update: Added gopro mount and wing tips

First i glued a little case together to hold the gopro. Next I set the gopro down on a sheet of foam, and using the gopro apps live view, I moved the camera forward until I could not see it anymore. This gave me the placement from the leading edge that i wanted.

20140626-100218-36138911.jpg

 

Instead of removing the part from the plane that I needed for the gopro mount,  making  just a hole, I glued it down to reinforce the front leading edge.

20140626-102342-37422733.jpg

20140626-102426-37466259.jpg

 

Next i glued in the frame I had made, installed the Velcro strap, and glued some reinforcing bars (Popsicle sticks) on the bottom.

20140626-102738-37658276.jpg

20140626-102741-37661016.jpg

20140626-102739-37659819.jpg

 

With the wingtips installed I can now store it vertically.

20140626-122658-44818425.jpg

Next will be motor, esc, immersionRC, and rx. Lastly i will install the battery to get proper CG.

20140626-123036-45036152.jpg

Flitetest blunt nose versa wing

 

Some parts i need to get my Mikey’s plane finished are taking forever to get here from Hobby King so i decided to try building a speedbuild kit from http://flitetest.com

Here is their build of it:
http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-versa-wing-build

They laser cut all the parts out for you. You only need to cut a couple bevels and glue/tape things together.

20140622-075244-28364084.jpg20140622-075241-28361808.jpg

2x 9 gram servos from Hobby King. Like $3.5 each.

20140622-075243-28363281.jpg20140622-075245-28365462.jpg

The hot glue holds the airfoil shape really well, even before finishing the wing.

20140622-075406-28446532.jpg20140622-075405-28445329.jpg

These wing tips stick down a little bit more than the wings and body, so they will probably be hitting the ground first and often. To reinforce them i glued some long zip ties along the entire bottom and around the front. This should help protect the paper and foam a little bit. I still need to press down on the body when i install the motor so i will install these last in the build.

20140622-075409-28449584.jpg20140622-075544-28544738.jpg

 

At this point in the versa build you would glue the two wings together, but i am doing the blunt nose build (only $10 more!) so i stopped the versa build video and went to this one:

http://flitetest.com/articles/blunt-nose-conversion-ft-versa-build

20140622-075407-28447927.jpg20140622-075545-28545946.jpg20140622-075548-28548683.jpg20140622-075547-28547394.jpg20140622-075550-28550057.jpg

 

Now to get the engine mount glued together, electronics, and start thinking about painting.

Mikeys fpv v3 update

Got the servos and motor installed finally.

20140618-092932-34172441.jpg

20140618-092930-34170721.jpg

 

This is under the wings where the battery will be stored using velcro.

 

20140618-093002-34202452.jpg

 

20 amp speed controller zip tied to center post.

20140618-092959-34199680.jpg

 

Here is the opposite side with Popsicle sticks for reinforcement.

20140618-093001-34201124.jpg

 

Custom Y servo cable for the ailerons made from 2 servo extension cables.

20140618-093033-34233589.jpg

 

Reinforced push rods. My friend gave me the idea to heat shrink bbq skewers to strengthen them.

20140618-093033-34233173.jpg

20140618-093031-34231863.jpg