Heres a little project that i have been working on lately. Its a 230mm size quad based off the Flip 1.5 control board.
My plan was to do a first flight before any finishing work. That way if i totally pwn it i could save myself some time. Unfortunately my RX is going to take longer than i thought to be delivered, so i decided to try painting. I put Minwax on the paper first and let it dry for a couple hours. I Put masking tape on the duck tape. In the future i may double up on the tape and i am not sure what effect having paint on top of the tape will do to the next layer sticking on it. Basically i just grabbed some glossy paint i had on hand. Black and Red.
If it flies i will clear coat the top and put clear packing tape on the bottom.
Installed the firewall and motor/prop. Sounds really awesome when turned on. This is the 1450kv motor they recommend on the flitetest.com build. 7/4 prop. One problem i did have was that my 2200mah battery was a little too tall. I had to cut a hole in the top door to make it work. I decided to build a little cage around the battery so it could not move around in flight. This is reinforced on the bottom with 4 Popsicle sticks. The CG on this thing is premarked by the flitetest team so i know where to balance. Issue now is figuring out how much weight i need to put in the nose. Even with a gopro it is going to need a bunch more weight to be slightly nose heavy.
Took about 35 days but my Frsky ACCST tx/rx modules and backlight finally arrived from Hobby King.
Since the stock antenna is no longer needed i removed it and will hot glue in a jst connector to power fpv or other gear from the top of my controller.
The Frsky DJT ACCST module took a little modding to fit, but works great so far on my workbench.
The back-light module from turnigy was very easy to install. No cutting or soldering. Only issue is that it wants to rotate as you put things back together.
First i glued a little case together to hold the gopro. Next I set the gopro down on a sheet of foam, and using the gopro apps live view, I moved the camera forward until I could not see it anymore. This gave me the placement from the leading edge that i wanted.
Instead of removing the part from the plane that I needed for the gopro mount, making just a hole, I glued it down to reinforce the front leading edge.
Next i glued in the frame I had made, installed the Velcro strap, and glued some reinforcing bars (Popsicle sticks) on the bottom.
With the wingtips installed I can now store it vertically.
Next will be motor, esc, immersionRC, and rx. Lastly i will install the battery to get proper CG.
Some parts i need to get my Mikey’s plane finished are taking forever to get here from Hobby King so i decided to try building a speedbuild kit from http://flitetest.com
Here is their build of it:
They laser cut all the parts out for you. You only need to cut a couple bevels and glue/tape things together.
2x 9 gram servos from Hobby King. Like $3.5 each.
The hot glue holds the airfoil shape really well, even before finishing the wing.
These wing tips stick down a little bit more than the wings and body, so they will probably be hitting the ground first and often. To reinforce them i glued some long zip ties along the entire bottom and around the front. This should help protect the paper and foam a little bit. I still need to press down on the body when i install the motor so i will install these last in the build.
At this point in the versa build you would glue the two wings together, but i am doing the blunt nose build (only $10 more!) so i stopped the versa build video and went to this one:
Now to get the engine mount glued together, electronics, and start thinking about painting.
Got the servos and motor installed finally.
This is under the wings where the battery will be stored using velcro.
20 amp speed controller zip tied to center post.
Here is the opposite side with Popsicle sticks for reinforcement.
Custom Y servo cable for the ailerons made from 2 servo extension cables.
Reinforced push rods. My friend gave me the idea to heat shrink bbq skewers to strengthen them.
Picked up one of these video out boards for the gopro.
Only basic testing so far, but i have not had any issues as some people report when using the side usb video out. No lag or lockups at all. Plus it charges my camera while in use.
Only issue right now is the large amount of screen real estate the gopro osd uses. But i think that can be disabled.
5000mah battery -> jst-hx to jst harness (sometimes called a lighting harness) -> Power filter (remove ESC/Motor interference) -> immersionRC 600mw vTX –> gopro
Here is the gopro 3 black OSD displayed on a 17″ wide screen car lcd tv. The resolution settings really make a difference on how good it looks. Need to make sure the ratios match between display and gopro output. I.E. 16:9 and 4:3
purchased from getfpv for around $20. Website reports this back 30pin port is the same on all series of gopro, but i havent tested.